Since its launch in 2012, Facebook Exchange has seen phenomenal success in delivering ROI to clients and the birth of several ad technology companies that help leverage the power of real time bidding to drive the very best out of FBX. Komli has been working with clients to scale remarketing on FBX through innovations in dynamic creative technology and advanced optimization algorithms since early 2013.
While FBX is a powerful channel on its own, there is more to remarketing on Facebook. For one, FBX does not allow for cross-device targeting i.e. being able to target customers who have dropped off the website on one device and showing relevant ads when they are logged into Facebook from their other devices. This is largely a limitation of cookie based user identification used by FBX ad partners to identify and bid on users in real-time.
FBX also does not allow marketers to leverage their customer relationship database to target users who haven’t been to the website recently but have interacted with the brand in the past. Lastly, marketers lack the ability to target their mobile app users to drive conversions on the app.
This is where Facebook’s Custom Audience (CA) and Website Custom Audience (WCA) ad products come into play. Through these ad products Facebook allows marketers to leverage their own customer data in the form of email/phone lists, device IDs or website cookies to run cross-device campaigns by identifying those users on Facebook. This is how it all happens -
- Marketers upload a list of device IDs, email addresses or phone numbers into Facebook
- Facebook maps the uploaded identifiers to Facebook user IDs based on its own login data
- The matched user IDs are available as a named audience list for targeting on Facebook across all user devices
Website Custom Audience
- Marketers implement a data collection tag on their website which is fired every time a user views a page
- Facebook maps the incoming pixel hit to register the page event against its own user ID
- Marketers can write rules on page events to segment users into different audience lists for cross device targeting
Marketers should start evaluating these options as it not only provides additional reach, but also enables them to leverage multiple data formats.
Remarketing strategies should have an ideal mix of FBX, CA and WCA so that marketers can extract the full potential of Facebook marketing. The key lies in consolidating audiences and spends on a single platform that can optimize between these channels to deliver maximum performance. Komli is actively working on making Facebook advertising easy for marketers, watch this space for more!